Entries open for best sports coverage in Australia
14 Aug 2013
Entries are now open for the 2013 Australian Sports Commission (ASC) Media Awards celebrating their 12th year.
ASC CEO Simon Hollingsworth said a new category of best analysis of the business of sport will add to the ever-increasing prestige of the awards acknowledging excellence in sports journalism, broadcasting and photography.
“The best analysis of the business of sport will recognise excellence in journalism that best covers the business side of sport across issues like governance, sponsorship, commercialisation and technological innovations,” Hollingsworth said.
“This new category reflects a growing interest within the sporting sector of maximising and integrating commercial opportunities as part of sustained success.
“”I encourage all journalists, broadcasters and photographers to submit their best work as we recognise the contribution of the best sports journalism in Australia.”
This year’s categories are:
1. Lifetime achievement award for contribution to sports journalism
2. Best reporting of an issue in sport
3. Best coverage of sport by an individual — television
4. Best coverage of sport by an individual — print media
5. Best coverage of sport by an individual — radio
6. Best coverage of sport by a media organisation
7. Best coverage of sport for people with disability
8. Best coverage of women in sport
9. Best profiling of an athlete, team or coach — broadcast media
10. Best profiling of an athlete, team or coach — print media
11. Best sports journalism from rural, regional or suburban media
12. Best sports photography
13. Best depiction of the value of sport to Australians in a community setting
14. Best contribution to sport through digital media
15. Best analysis of the business of sport
Nominations for the awards close on Friday, 20 September with finalists notified by Tuesday, 8 October. Winners will be announced at a gala dinner at the Myer Mural Hall in Melbourne, on 27 November 2013.
Hollingsworth said the ASC Media Awards recognise the important role the media plays in keeping Australians up to date with developments across a range of issues and news within the sports industry.
An expert panel made up of media, ASC and sport representatives judge the entries, taking into account news value, originality, creative flair and technical excellence.
For more information, go to the ASC Media Awards page