MINISTER WELCOMES PETITION TO KEEP BOWLS ON TV
Minister for Sport Mark Arbib today welcomed a 40,000 signature petition calling for the ABC to keep lawn bowls on television.
The petition, submitted to Federal Parliament is one of the biggest petitions presented to Parliament in 2011.
Senator Arbib said the Bowls Australia petition was launched earlier this year after the ABC’s announcement it could cancel Saturday afternoon coverage of lawn bowls.
“After 30 years of television bowls I was surprised and disappointed by the decision from the ABC to cancel their coverage,” Senator Arbib said.
“Bowls is part of Australia’s culture and social fabric. I have raised the issue directly with ABC Managing Director Mark Scott to see if there were alternatives to cancelling the coverage.
“Members of Parliament from across Australia from all sides of the political spectrum took up the campaign in their local areas and worked with Bowls Australia urging people to show their support for lawn bowls.”
Senator Arbib said the 2010 Census reported more than 800,000 Australians participated in a game of bowls.
“More than 230,000 Australians are members of Bowls Australia and participate in competitions at bowls clubs around Australia.
“The ABC provides a fantastic service for many Australians who spend their Saturday afternoons supporting Australia’s best bowlers and the 40,000 signatures on the petition highlights this.
Bowls Australia CEO Neil Dalrymple remains hopeful of getting the bowls broadcast on free-to-air television next year.
“Our organisation's focus and strategy is to have the sport continue on television in 2012. It is extremely important to maintain the profile of our sport and being featured on free-to-air television greatly assists this objective," Mr Dalrymple said.
“We’re very thankful for the support provided during this campaign, particularly from many lawn bowls clubs around the nation who have greatly contributed to this petition."
Minister’s media contact: Sean Sammon 0417 137 419






