To operate most effectively, the Board should:
- Understand its roles and responsibilites, as indiviudals, Board/committee members and as a Board.
- Attract quality people, and have a plan fo how it will do this.
- Retain quality people by providing development opportunities.
- Meet regularly enough to perform its roles and responsibilities.
- Operate under a regularly reviewed constitution that is up-to-date and does not impeded the organisation from operating effectively and the Board from fulfilling its roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure that only the most important matters and powers are contained in the constitiution, with the remainder to be set out in regularly reviewed policies and by-laws.